Do you want to know something?
I love this space.
This quiet little corner of the internet where we hang out together.
Sometimes people ask me why I write.
There are a few reasons.
I write because it makes me a better listener.
I write because it helps me process life.
I write because it is a non-scary way to share parts of a story that I believe matters.
And I write because every once in a while, I get to share in a sacred moment when you open your heart and I get to hold your story in my hands for just a moment. I get to tell you that your story matters too.
I love that parts of my story resonate with you—even if the actual details of our lives are very different.
But I never really know which parts those will be.
Sometimes I write something that I think is earth-shattering and y’all already know it.
And sometimes I write something that I’m all “meh” about and it gets spread all around.
So, without further ado, here are the top 5 posts that you liked in 2015:
5. Waiting for the Promise: Foster care, disillusionment and hope
4. Torn: I didn’t even write this post in 2015 and it was one of my most-read. It’s absolutely as true today as it was on the day that I wrote it.
3. On Perspective: This one was a long time in coming. It was tough for me to figure out how to tackle the topic of poverty and privilege honestly without being condescending.
2. The Thing Nobody Tells You: The number one thing that took me by surprise on this foster care journey is how much genuine compassion I would feel for my babies’ birthmoms.
1. You are Beautiful: I guess y’all aren’t all beach people!
So, according to the numbers, those were your favorites this year. Here are my favorites that didn’t make the cut:
Broken Together: Grief is weird. But it shows you who’s got your back when the rubber meets the road.
I Met Her Once: Because how can you not love this story? Seriously.
Loved to the End: If there’s one thing I want you to know, it’s this.
Happy New Year, friends!
I hope that it is full of much that you love.